This week’s Because it’s Thursday Which is Basically Friday Which is Pretty Much the Weekend Cocktail is…the Provence Honey Drop. Let’s salute our French friends and wish them a happy La Fête Nationale (I’m insanely international, I know) with this Bastille Day cocktail. Inspired by the rolling fields of Provence, a few dainty sips of this lavender libation will bring out your inner elegant French goddess. It also goes GREAT with a Big Mac. Salud!
The Provence Honey Drop
Ingredients (makes one patriotic Bastille Day cocktail):
- 2 oz gin
- 3/4 oz lavender honey syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
Lavender Honey Syrup:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender – I had to basically do an FBI investigation into the Whole Foods spice aisle but eventually found it. You might have to do the same.
- Start the honey lavender syrup by heating the water and combining it with the honey. Stir it until it’s well mixed.
- Add the lavender and again, give a it a sweet old stir. Let it cool for about a half hour. Feel free to make a lot extra so you can officially be the person who casually has homemade ~*~honey lavender syrup~*~ in your house.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to catch the lavender.
- Combine the syrup with the gin and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker full of ice give it a good shake.
- Garnish with a sprig of lavender (or a similar purple or dainty flower) and give a sip and a cheers with your Bastille Day cocktail.
- Bonus step: If you don’t know what Bastille Day is, please go check yourself. Nothing better than a cocktail to make you smarter.
- Bonus bonus step: Reminisce with me about when I spent Bastille Day in the city of light last year.